|June 2012 - Made it to the Great Wall!|
|The front of the house right after she was purchased in 2010|
|The side/entry view in 2010|
|so. many. weeds. May 2012|
|Side/Front view May 2012|
|Purple asters, dark pink mums, delphiniums, pink astilbes, and a peony that was already there|
|Yellow black eyed susans, more dark pink mums, purple aster, and a purple plant that was already there (and we aren't sure what it is!) + a yellow mum basket for the steps|
So what did I learn about landscaping?
- Fall is a great time to plant and everything is on sale around this time. The purple asters were 2 dollars a pop and the pink mums ran 4 dollars a piece (just to give you an idea!)
- Buy smaller plants instead of bigger/full grown plants. Why? You spend so much less if you go this route. You're still getting lovely color and will eventually have full grown plants in a few years. We spent 170 total on plants (not all are shown) and supplies (purchased some garden soil, transplant nutrients, etc.)
- Use a tarp of some sort to avoid getting soil on your lawn...we didn't and there are spots with lots of dirt from removing the weeds and grasses that were growing before.
- It really isn't that bad/is actually pretty fun and somewhat addicting (you've been warned).
- This sounds crazy, but ever since we started fixing up the exterior of the house I'm excited to live here. When I pull into the driveway I can't help but smile at all the beautiful colors and know that it was something we all worked on together (Yoda and Loges)
- This should be a given I suppose, but water the plants every day :)